- WHAT: Please join us at Fir Butte in the West Eugene Wetlands to install hundreds of bare root rose checkermallow (Sidalcea malviflora ssp. virgata) plants. Fir Butte is roughly 9 miles west of Eugene and 38 miles south of Corvallis.
- WHEN: Friday, March 4th from 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM
- MEET: Please plan to arrive at Fir Butte at 12:30 PM.
- WHERE: Fir Butte is located along Amazon Creek, east of Fern Ridge Reservoir, and just north of the intersection of Fir Butte Road and Royal Avenue. Click this link for the exact meeting location along Fir Butte Road: https://goo.gl/maps/VvBuVUyxpQahhR8R6. We will drive through gate on the east side of the road to park along the levy on Amazon Creek.
- WEAR: This will be a muddy event! Please bring gloves and wear clothes and shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty and that will keep you dry. Having extra layers will be helpful. Also, please bring a mask for those instances when we are working in close proximity to each other.
- BRING: Drinks and snacks will be provided. Sunscreen and additional water will come in handy if we are lucky enough to plant in the spring sunshine.
- SPECIAL SKILLS: No special skills are required. Planting will involve kneeling, bending, carrying buckets of bare root plants, and digging with hand tools and shovels.
- PLEASE RSVP: Please make sure to RSVP to Celeste Lebo at [email protected] so we can be certain to bring sufficient tools for the day. You must fill out IAE’s volunteer release form and share with the organizer. Proof of up-to-date Covid-19 vaccination must be presented the day of the event.
- Note: We will not have access to restroom facilities. Fir Butte is a flat, open meadow. The most recent herbicide application in the planting area took place last October, 2021.
The West Eugene Wetlands BLM office is organizing this event with IAE.