Giving stocks and other securities to IAE
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to IAE.
1. Gifts of Stocks and Bonds
Benefits of gifts of stocks and bonds
- Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- Further our mission today
How to make a gift of stocks and bonds
- By electronic transfer - Please contact us for instructions on how you can transfer stock or bonds from your brokerage or investment account to IAE.
- By certified mail - If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to mail two envelopes separately to complete your gift. In the first envelope, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other envelope, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this power from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail.
- There are special rules for valuing a gift of stock. The value of a charitable gift of stock is determined by taking the mean between the high and low stock price on the date of the gift. Mutual fund shares are valued using the closing price for the fund on the date of the gift.
- We will sell the stock upon receipt and the funds will go directly into enhancing IAE’s programs!
- You will receive a notification of the stock sale including a tax-deduction letter
2. Gifts of Retirement Assets:
Donating part or all of your unused retirement assets, such as your IRA, 401(k), 403(b), pension or other tax-deferred plan, is an excellent way to make a gift to IAE. You may not use all of your retirement assets during your lifetime -- why not make a gift of your unused retirement assets to help further our mission?
Benefits of gifts of retirement assets
- Avoid potential estate tax on retirement assets
- Your heirs would avoid income tax on any retirement assets funded on a pre-tax basis
- Receive potential estate tax savings from an estate tax deduction
How to make a gift of retirement assets
- To leave your retirement assets to IAE, you will need to complete a beneficiary designation form provided by your retirement plan custodian. If you designate IAE as beneficiary, we will benefit from the full value of your gift because your IRA assets will not be taxed at your death. Your estate will benefit from an estate tax charitable deduction for the gift.
- Did you know that 60%-70% of your retirement assets may be taxed if you leave them to your heirs at your death? Another option is to leave your heirs assets that receive a step up in basis, such as real estate and stock, and give the retirement assets to IAE. As a charity, we are not taxed upon receiving an IRA or other retirement plan assets.
- If you have any questions about gifts of retirement assets, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions that you have.
- Please let us know if you have already included IAE as a beneficiary of your retirement assets. We would like to thank you and recognize you for your gift.
3. Gifts of Insurance:
A gift of your life insurance policy is an excellent way to make a gift to IAE. If you have a life insurance policy that has outlasted its original purpose, consider making a gift of your insurance policy to IAE.
Benefits of gifts of life insurance
- Receive a income tax deduction for your charitable donation
- You can receive additional tax deductions by making annual gifts so that we can pay the premiums, if IAE retains the policy to maturity.
- If IAE cashes in the policy immediately, you will be able to see firsthand how your gift supports our charitable work
- If IAE retains the policy to maturity, or you name us as a beneficiary, once the policy matures, the proceeds of your policy will be paid to our organization so that we can use the proceeds to further our mission of on-the-ground conservation
How to make a gift of life insurance
- To make a gift of life insurance, please contact your life insurance provider, request a beneficiary designation form from the insurer and include IAE as the beneficiary of your policy. If you have any questions about making a gift of a life insurance policy, please contact us. We would be happy to answer questions that you have.
Please let us know if you have already named us as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy. We would like to thank you and recognize you for your gift.
If you have any questions about gifts of stocks and bonds, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions that you have.