- SRCI is a multi-security facility located in Ontario, Oregon; it is the largest prison in the state.
- A team of 5 – 20 inmates in the minimum security facility work on seed sowing, day to day care and planting out the sagebrush.
- A greenhouse and hoop house was constructed by DOC to grow and house the sagebrush.
- Institute for Applied Ecology partnered with the Vale BLM field office with the sagebrush project and plant-out.
- During 2014, SRCI piloted growing and planting 20,000 sagebrush.
- The program was so successful that in 2015, the prison increased production to 23,000 plants.
- The SRCI crew grew 40,000 plants in 2016.
- In 2017 the SRCI crew grew 50,000 sagebrush plants.
- In 2018 49,240 sagebrush plants were grown at SRCI.
- In 2019 SRCI grew 57,562 sagebrush and 198 milkweed plants.
- WCCF is a minimum security facility located in Lakeview, Oregon. All inmates housed there are scheduled for release within four years.
- In 2016 the crew at WCCF grew 22,309 sagebrush plants.
- In 2017 the sagebrush crew at WCCF grew 25,000 plants.
- In 2018 the WCCF crew grew 22,000 sagebrush plants.
- In 2019 WCCF grew 30,000 sagebrush, and 3,000 bitterbrush plants for sage-grouse habitat.
05/06/20 Snake River Rapids Newsletter: Sagebrush Sowing at Snake River Correctional Institution // OREGON
Spring 2020: Audubon Magazine: Meet the Inmates Working to Rebuild the Greater Sage-Grouse’s Home // NATIONAL
5/8/2019: Lake County Examiner “Warner Creek AICs reap what they sow” news article
12/12/18 Lake County Examiner “From Seedlings to Sagebrush: A Year of Success at Warner Creek Correctional Facility” news article
11/9/18 Argus Observer: Rehab for public lands
10/8/18 Argus Observer: Institute for Applied Ecology’s Stacy Moore named to TIAA Difference Maker 100
11/17/2015: Argus Observer “Reseeding efforts begin: Volunteers sought to help collect sagebrush seed” news article
7/1/2015 Argus Observer “Inmates’ sagebrush program more than doubles in 2nd year” news article
11/18/2014: Argus Observer “Inmates plant near Jordan Valley” news article
9/10/2014: Argus Observer “Inmates earn certificates for efforts” news article