Growing 45,000 native plants for sage-grouse habitat.
- FCI Herlong is a medium security facility with an adjacent minimum security camp located in Herlong, California.
- FCI Herlong is the only federal prison participating in the Sagebrush in Prisons Project.
- In 2019 FCI Herlong grew 45,000 sagebrush for sage-grouse habitat.
Then newest Sustainability in Prisons Project started in March of 2020 at the California City Correctional Facility (CAC)
- The CAC is a state facility located in California City, California in the Mojave Desert.
- The crew at CAC is growing seven native Mojave Desert plant species for seed production to build up the BLM's Seeds of Success seed bank.
- These seeds will eventually be planted out as forage for the threatened desert tortoise.