EARTH DAY PLANTING AT HERBERT FARM AND NATURAL AREA, Friday, April 22, 2022, 9 am– 3 pm
The Institute for Applied Ecology needs volunteers to help plant approximately 2,000 native plants at Herbert Farm and Natural Area, about 5 miles south of Corvallis, Oregon. We will plant Oregon geranium (Geranium oreganum) and narrowleaf mule’s ears (Wyethia angustifolia) and other prairie species. Come do your part for Earth Day and help restore this former farm field into a native prairie to benefit pollinators, birds, and all of us.
- WHEN: Friday, April 22, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Finish time will depend on the number of volunteers we have.
- WHERE: Herbert Farm and Natural Area – second parking lot.
- MEET: You have two options: 1) For carpooling, meet at IAE (563 SW Jefferson St. Corvallis Oregon 97333) at 8:15 am ready to depart at 8:30 am. Travel time to the site from the office is approximately 15 minutes. OR 2) Meet at Herbert Farm at 8.45 am. Travel south from Corvallis on Hwy 99W for 3 miles, turn right on Herbert Avenue and drive 1 mile, past the first parking lot and all the way to the end of the road where there is a second small parking lot.
- PLEASE RSVP: Please make sure to RSVP so we can be certain to bring sufficient tools and gloves for the day. Contact Michel Wiman ([email protected]).
- VOLUNTEER RELEASE: Please fill out the volunteer release form and bring a copy to the event. https://appliedeco.org/iae-volunteer-release-form/
- COVID-19 VACCINATION STATUS: Due to Covid-19 still being present in our community, and for the health and safety of participants and staff, we require everyone to be fully vaccinated. Please bring your vaccination card or an image of your card to the event.
- WEAR: Weather is unpredictable at this time of year, so prepare yourself for rain and cold: rain jacket, rain pants, waterproof boots, a warm hat, long sleeve shirt, long pants and layers.
- BRING: Water, snacks, and a lunch.
- SPECIAL SKILLS: Able to kneel or bend over for an extended period, and walk over uneven, muddy terrain. Able to use shovel and hand tools. An ability to lift and carry 25lb trays a short distance would be helpful.
- AMENITIES: Porta-potty provided at the parking area.
Community Earth Day Celebration: This event is part of Earth Day Oregon to amplify environmental organizations working hard to improve Oregon’s natural spaces. Join us for a community celebration the same evening, Friday, April 22 from 6-8 pm at Common Fields Tap House, 545 SW 3rd St, Corvallis, OR 97333.