SRCI: Snake River Correctional Institution
Growing 57,760 native plants for Sage-grouse and monarch butterfly habitat.
- SRCI is a multi-security facility located in Ontario, Oregon; it is the largest prison in the state.
- A team of 5 – 20 inmates in the minimum security facility work on seed sowing, day to day care and planting out the sagebrush.
- A greenhouse and hoop house was constructed by DOC to grow and house the sagebrush.
- Institute for Applied Ecology partnered with the Vale BLM field office with the sagebrush project and plant-out.
- During 2014, SRCI piloted growing and planting 20,000 sagebrush. The program was so successful that in 2015, the prison increased production to 23,000 plants, and 40,000 plants in 2016.
- In 2019 SRCI grew 57,562 sagebrush and 198 milkweed plants.
WCCF: Warner Creek Correctional Facility
- WCCF is a minimum security facility located in Lakeview, Oregon. All inmates housed there are scheduled for release within four years.
- In 2019 WCCF grew 30,000 sagebrush, and 3,000 bitterbrush plants for sage-grouse habitat.