SRCI: Snake River Correctional Institution
Growing 55,000 native plants for Sage-grouse habitat.
- SRCI is a multi-security facility located in Ontario, Oregon; it is the largest prison in the state.
- During 2014, SRCI piloted growing and planting 20,000 sagebrush. The program was so successful that in 2015, the prison increased production to 23,000 plants. They are growing 40,000 plants for 2016.
- A team of 5 – 20 inmates in the minimum security facility work on seed sowing, day to day care and planting out the sagebrush.
- A greenhouse and hoop house was constructed by DOC to grow and house the sagebrush.
- Institute for Applied Ecology is partnering with the Vale BLM field office with the sagebrush project and plant-out.
WCCF: Warner Creek Correctional Facility
- WCCF is a minimum security facility. All inmates housed there are scheduled for release within four years.
- In 2016, inmates will sow 29,200 sagebrush and bitterbrush for the Southeast Oregon.