THANK YOU FOR A TERRIFIC EVENT!
See you next year!
WHEN: Saturday, August 27th, 2016 from 4:30 pm - 8:30 pm
WHERE: Floral Courtyard at the Benton County Fairgrounds, Corvallis, Oregon
WHY: We eat 'em to beat 'em! IAE encourages eradication of invasive species to help give native species a fighting chance.
HOW: Suggested donation of $10 - $50/person at the door, tax deductible. First 100 to register will receive a free limited-edition IAE pint glass!
WHAT: Join us for a fun family-friendly evening!
Invasive Species Cook-Off contest and potluck dinner
Getaway Raffle including to the Oregon Coast and Breitenbush Hot Springs Resort
Live old-timey toe-tappin' tunes from Rusty Hinges
Piñata for the kiddos
CLICK HERE to watch a great segment about our Cook-Off on Oregon Field Guide. Thank you OPB!
Sponsor the event? Please CLICK HERE for a .pdf of sponsorship levels and benefits.
COOK-OFF CONTEST DETAILS:
Make something yummy containing an invasive species ingredient, enter the contest and win prizes! If a species is so invasive that it causes harm to other species, it's fair game! Extra points if it's an invasive animal or categorized as a noxious weed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture (weed list here). You're also welcome to bring a non-invasive potluck item...
But if you make a mean blackberry pie, dandelion wine, crayfish etouffee, nutria stew, knotweed IPA, fried bullfrog legs or anything else that makes invasive species think twice before crossing the road, then bring it on!
If enter your potluck creation into the cook-off contest, please bring three separate small-but-taster-sized servings for the judges, and have them on the contest table by 6:00 pm.
- Best Savory Meat Dish
- Best Savory Vegetarian Dish
- Best Dessert/Sweet
- Best Beverage (21+ or all-ages)
Need some dish ideas? Then check out They’re Cooked, our invasive species cookbook, for some proven recipes for invasive species dishes.
- ENTRY SIZES: Please bring 3 generous-but-taster-sized servings for the judges. Feel free to bring more to share in the potluck - we'd love to taste your creations!
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: If your cook-off entry needs to be kept warm or cold, please bring what you need to make that happen. Electricity will be available.
- JUDGING: Cook-Off entries must be on the contest table by 6:00 pm when judging starts.
- CATEGORIES: Judges will score your cook-off entry on the following criteria: 1) creativity, 2) presentation, 3) taste, and 4) conservation benefit (how problematic is the invasive species you’re using?).
- WINNERS: The winning entries in each category will be announced between 6:30 & 7:00 pm.
This event is a fundraiser for the Institute for Applied Ecology, a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Your donations are tax-deductible and directly support IAE's on-the-ground habitat and species conservation programs.